9.23.2008

Bottle Weaning Update...

I recently posted about my being scared with bottle weaning.  When I first started Noah was taking 3 bottles of milk a day.  It really didn't matter to me whether he was on the bottle or not.  As long as he was off by preschool.  After debating with myself over this situation, I decided to do it.  Cut his bottle feeds.  I received much advice, which was appreciated, and decided that I would do what I thought was right for my little guy.  So for all of those who are wondering how I am doing, here is my game plan.


I designated September as the 'Bottle Weaning' month.  This way I was able to give myself enough time to adjust to the idea and also to ease Noah into a new routine without overwhelming him at once.  The first day of September I warmed him up some milk as usual and put it into a sippy.  After getting him out of bed and him asking for his bottle, I said "Your a BIG boy!!  You get to drink it out of a sippy." (very excited voice)  He was so excited, he took his milk and watched cartoons.  I couldn't believe how easy it was, yet hard for me.

At nap time I did the same thing and it went good.  I ended up adding in reading time while he drank his sippy.  By bedtime I had to give him a bottle.  I just couldn't loose it.  During the first couple of days, the sippy in the morning was going great!  I did budge back to the bottle for nap time because I thought it was too quick to change him over and to just let him get used to the morning one.  At night he still had his bottle.

To make my long story short we are on the right track and still working.  He takes his milk in a sippy in the morning like a pro.  At nap time we have made it to a water sippy and still are reading.  Bedtime is in the works.  Still taking a bottle but will revert to reading.  I will have to keep you posted on that little update.  Other than that, I am so proud of our progress and how he is handling this change.  What a little trooper :)  

2 comments:

The Shill Spill said...

Way to go Tiff! Sounds like you are a smart woman, and especially a smart mom. Being considerate of your child's worries definitely makes a difference. :) Keep it up, ey?

oodlesofoversons said...

Good job, Tiffany! I need to do that for Ethan pretty soon, but that's how he goes to bed and down for his nap everyday! makes me nervous! I'm glad it has been successful for you!