9.01.2008

. melt away .

Moving from milk to rice cereal......a new little twist.  From rice cereal to pureed fruits and veggies.....couldn't wait to try.  Then there came the time to wean him from me to a bottle....just about died, yet couldn't wait for a break from the pump, his first tooth, his first hair cut (you get the picture).  Everything has been like clock work and I was ready for it, until now.  In my mind it has come to quickly to even think about being ready for a change.  I am so comfortable with where I am at that to throw a wrench into the mix would be traumatizing.


Okay....I know a little drama queenish....but I can explain.

Recently, as I have posted, my dad and I have been working on our guest room in hopes to move Noah over to it when he is close to 3 (which in all reality isn't too far away....10 months and 14 days to be exact).  This room is going to be his 'BIG BOY' room.  I have painted the walls and nailed up the bead board.  The room is the coolest room in the house and it will one day be his!  I have been looking at bedding, curtains, rugs ect.  This is where the melting started.  When looking at the bedding and thinking of him out of his crib and into a 'BIG BOY' bed made me extremely sad.  Not for the fact that he will be sleeping in a bigger bed, but for the fact that he is getting old enough to where it just might be necessary.

The next thing that happened was watching the way Noah sat when watching Toy Story (melting away), and Chris just so happened to catch him in the act.  What act you say?.  The act of the 'position'.  You know, when you were a kid and you laid on your stomach with your hands under you chin.  Yes!  That's the one.  Then the remark 'Hey hun.  Look at him.  He is growing up so fast.'  So of course I looked.  And yes, I nearly lost it all right there.  That brings us to where we are right now.  The weaning of the bottle.

I refuse to have my child be one that has a bottle up to preschool!  So I have designated this month 'Bottle Weaning' month.  Today went great!  I put his milk in a sippy and of course he asked where his bottle was.  'Sweetie, we are a big boy now and we don't need a bottle.  We use sippies.'  He was awesome.  Crawled right up in our bed and drank his milk sippy like it was nothing new.  phewww......  Then came time for his nap.  I usual warm up a bottle for nap time but thought I need to stick with it, and I did.  He asked for it a second time and I changed the subject to reading books instead.  We read 4 books and down for a nap.  He did great after his 2 hour workout in his crib. (he was jumping).  I thought for sure I killed the bottle.  Until bedtime came around.  I couldn't do it.  I can't let him grow up!  So, I gave in and he got his bottle.  I think this is going to be harder on me than on him for sure.  Maybe tomorrow I will stick with the sippy in the morning and slowly work with that.  If anyone has any suggestions, please help!  Because I am already thinking about potty training in December and the fact that Preschool is next year!!  He is just growing up wayyyy to fast in my mind.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Tiffany,

I know how you feel! Katelee (who will be 3 in March) is still on the bottle. She loves it, I love it... and she is still my baby! We have actually taken the bottle away twice in the past, but it has never lasted long. I need the strength to do it and keep with it! If you find out any great secrets - let me know, too!

Kurt and Kristy said...

Haha! I know it is hard to see them grow up! We actually just weaned Bryson and totally surprised me with how well he did. We ended up just putting milk in his sippy and then cut cold turkey and went straight to water in a sippy. He has been great! Good luck with the potty training too! :)

Adrianne said...

the fact that your 2 1/2 yr old still has a bottle and goes to nursery......has to say something. Marissa has a hard time drinking plain milk, but I got her to a sippie with strawberry milk and the bottle went away before nursery. C'mon. The bottle thing....has really got to go. You need another child so you can quit babying him. having another child really grows up the 1st child and it is good for both you and him!! Just stick to the sippie and THROW AWAY ALL THE BOTTLES so you won't be tempted to give him one. By the time your next one comes, you will need new bottles anyways!!

Michael, Michelle, Lil, and Pay-pay said...

It was good to see you the other day. Noah is so cute, I hope he didn't get sick. Time does fly a little too fast sometimes I am always telling Michael not to wish certain stages that Lily is going through away