Chris is such an asset to our family. I really can't believe how lucky I am to have met such a wonderful man. Recently there was an article written about his devotion to golf. Which, if I do say so myself, has been one of the best articles written about my guy. So good that we have three copies of it floating around our house destined to be framed. If you have not gotten a chance to read it....nows your chance :)
It was on the greens and fairways of Provo's Riverside Country Club that Chris Moody grew up, playing in a junior golf league and learning the game from his dad, Robert.
He has devoted his life to the game and hopes hat one day all the hours he spent perfecting his swing, developing his short game and hitting countless buckets of balls on the driving range will pay off with a chance to join the PGA Tour. It's a dream the assistant golf pro at Riverside has had since those days in the junior league. "My dad was a member at Riverside for as long as I can remember, and I really took to the game," Moody said. "I like learning about it and having the ability to play and be competitive as part of my job."
Moody started with the junior golf league when he was 8 and continued until he joined the golf team at Timpview High in Provo. His team was composed of several golfers he had been playing with on the junior league.
His older brother, John, attended Utah State on a golf scholarship. USU's coach at the time, Dan Roskelly, told Chris that when he was ready for college in 1992, he would get a golf scholarship at the Logan school. He said trying out for the USU team was "terrifying. I did well in junior golf, but was so nervous at tryouts that I didn't even make the team until a few years later. I tried it again after my [church] mission in Brazil, made the team and was able to get my scholarship." Moody's time in Brazil and desire to play more golf eventually took him back down down to South America, this time to play in the Tour de las Americas. The tour travelled all over South America. Moody was mildly successful but decided to come back to the states after two seasons. He was playing tournaments around the West and found himself getting burned out. His game had plateaued, and he was winning enough to barely cover expenses. For a brief time, he decided to leave golf and pursue a marketing job, which lasted six long months, Moody said. The chance to be involved in golf and support his family was too tempting to pass up, so he jumped at the chance to become the assistant golf pro at Riverside.
"I knew Chris from his time spent here with his Dad," Riverside pro Robert McArthur said. "He is an honorable guy, and I knew he would be a good fit. He understands the members and the game. He doesn't try to be something he's not."
Moody's dreams of joining the PGA Tour seemed pretty realistic at last fall's qualifying school. Moody missed the first-stage cut by a stroke. He finished strong, going 5-under par in his final 10 holes, shooting a 67 on the final day. He was 6-under for the tournament.
He said he wants to take the experiences from last year and work hard on improving his game.
Golf has always been a part of Moody's family and he plans to pass that along to his 3-year-old son, Noah, who often accompanies his dad. "Noah knows that golf is what I do, and he loves going to the course with me," Moody said. "It was something that I used to do with my Dad, and I look forward to doing it with my son as he gets older."
Doesn't that just bring a tear to your eye. I know it did to mine when I first read it. I am so proud of Chris and all of his accomplishments not only on the golf course but with raising and supporting his family.
So here's to you! You truly are a devoted husband, father and golfer wrapped in one. I don't know what we would be without you. We love you!!























5 comments:
Wow! That is really cool! What a nice and fiting article! I don't blame you for wanting to frame it all over your house!
Congratulations Chris, that's awesome!
Very cool!!! You're a lucky lady.
How cool Chris! That's pretty neat. Thanks for sharing with us guys!
That is way cool! Good luck on joining the PGA! That will be fun someday!
Post a Comment