7.29.2009

What's For Dinner?

I never thought this question would ever get to me...but it does! Especially when you ask your husband and he gives you that blank stare like it's part of my job description to figure that one out.

I'm a really big fan when it comes to finding new recipes to try that would be a family favorite or at least try it once. This one is defiantly a family favorite and I even got the 'I am not a big pancake fan but these are the best I have ever had' from Chris! To get a perfect '10' on a recipe...especially coming from Chris...is a BIG deal! So big in fact that I want to share it.

You will want to double this recipe! I think I made about 10 to 12 pancakes.

Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes with Orange Maple Butter
Martha Stewart Living

{you HAVE to make the butter to make it fabulous!}

{I borrowed these pictures because the pancakes weren't around long enough to capture :)}
yummy blueberry goodness..Noah's favorite part

Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup whole milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted & cooled
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 cups fresh blueberries
Orange Maple Butter
Pure maple syrup

1. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, 2 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, milk, butter and egg. Whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined (mixture will be lumpy).

2. Preheat oven to 200 degrees (for keeping pancakes warm). Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Toss blueberries with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Brush griddle with melted butter. Spoon batter onto griddle 1/3 cup at a time. Sprinkle with sugared blueberries, about 2 tablespoons per pancake. Cook until edges are set, 3 to 4 minutes (don't wait for bubbles to form on this recipe...they won't show up!). Flip, and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter and blueberries, adding more butter to griddle and keeping prepared pancakes warm on a baking sheet in the oven. Serve with orange maple butter and pure maple syrup.

Orange Maple Butter

4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt

Using a rubber spatula, combine ingredients in a small bowl. Orange maple butter can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to one week.

You can finish up the butter on toast...warm rolls...biscuits...blueberry muffins...you name it and I'm sure it will be fantastic!!

Hope you enjoy these delectable pancakes with plenty of syrup and orange maple butter!!!

2 comments:

Chan N Lan said...

We definitely want to try these sometime... Another thing that you could do, so that you don't get the "blank stare" is create a menu for each week... Landon and I started doing that about 3 wks ago and it's working out great! We don't go out to each as much, we don't spend a lot of money and when I'm driving home from work I know what we're having... instead of sitting in front of the cupboard wondering what we can make... It's fabulous! I even think that I've lost me some weight... yippee!!

oodlesofoversons said...

THANK YOU for posting the recipes! I have been dreaming about them ever since you posted your status on FB! Yum!